About the KHP Internship Program:
Internships are defined as a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internship give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields that they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent. – Bridge: Connecting Academia, Business and Community
At the Kentucky Horse Park, students enrolled in the Internship Program are combining their knowledge of the equine industry with practical experience, leadership and responsibility while building personal and professional relationships through networking. Students enrolled in the KHP Internship Program are exposed to over 40 different breeds of horses, 6 barns featuring various disciplines, over 800,000 visitors, 150 special events and countless opportunities to meet professionals in the industry.
This is an unpaid internship for class credit only. The Kentucky Horse Park does not provide housing or stipends.
What type of internship opportunities are at the Kentucky Horse Park?
What are the requirements?
- Must be enrolled as a student of a college or university, with a GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Complete State of Kentucky Co-Op/Intern Application and Academic Credit Agreement.
- Complete KHP Internship Application and Waiver at kyhorsepark.com
- Attend an interview, orientation and tour.
- Must complete 160 hours over an 8 week period.
- Record all internship hours using VicNet database.
- Volunteer for a minimum of 3 KHP special events.
- Complete a midterm and final survey and evaluation.
- Weekly meetings with KHP Internship Manager.
- Must have moderate equine skills and knowledge.
- Must be able to lift 45lbs above shoulders and physically able to walk several miles daily.
How do I apply for an internship at the Kentucky Horse Park?
1. Complete the online State of Kentucky Co-Op/Internship Application.
2. Complete the Academic Credit Agreement, and mail (along with unofficial transcript) to:
Division of Career Opportunities
501 High Street, 1st Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
*Please note: students may only apply to one internship position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
When do I apply?
Spring Internship: November 5-January 7
Summer Internship: January 14-March 29
Fall Internship: June 10-August 19
When are the Internship Sessions?
Spring Internship: February 5-April 30
Summer Internship: May 7-August 27
Fall Internship: September 17-December 3
*Internship schedules are fairly flexible, and will be created individually with each student and supervisor. The KHP Internship Manager and Supervisors are happy to work with students to complete school projects or meet specific requirements.
“For someone who has been visiting the Kentucky Horse Park since they were 12 years old, having the opportunity to be an intern was a dream come true. I couldn't have thought of a more amazing way to spend my summer while earning credit towards my college major. Not only was it fun, but extremely educational in ways I didn't expect. Riding and taking care of such rare and unique breeds of horses are things that I probably would not have been exposed to in any other part of my equine career. Experiencing new disciplines made me become a stronger rider and more well-rounded equestrian overall, and teaching guests about the history of our breeds helped me come out of my shell and discover how much I love inspiring other people to fall in love with the horse. My managers and coworkers were the best team I could have ever asked for, and I made friendships I know will last a lifetime. I feel very lucky to have been able to participate in the internship program at the Kentucky Horse Park, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in furthering their education and career while having an extraordinary time.” – Anna Paterek, Summer 2017 KHP Student Intern
Who do I contact with questions about the Internship Program?